How to wash waterproof clothing? These types of clothes require special care when cleaning them. In this post we give you some tips on how to wash everything from your rain jacket to your snow jacket and, of course, your work rainwear.
A type of garment that you can find for sale in Reysan and that requires a particular wash in order not to lose its main function: to insulate from water and humidity.
Washing waterproof clothes in a washing machine
When we talk about waterproof workwear such as overalls, aprons or trousers that are very exposed to dirt, there is no choice but to use the washing machine.
However, it is very important not to use fabric softener in the washing and to use a special detergent or very soft soap, since the normal one can damage the water resistant layer. However, we recommend that you follow the manufacturer's instructions for choosing the appropriate soap (often neutral pH or soap for sensitive garments).
With this in mind, let's take a step-by-step look at how to wash waterproof clothing:
- Put the garment in the washing machine without any other clothes.
- Add a liquid soap cap for this type of garment in the detergent compartment.
- Select a cold, short program.
- Dry in the air or in the dryer, as the heat reactivates the polymers in the water-resistant layer.
Hand washing of waterproof garments
Hand washing is another option when clothes are not excessively dirty. In this type of washing we also recommend cold water and the appropriate soap. Preferably, after rubbing, leave to soak for about 15 minutes.
If it is an isolated stain, it is advisable to act before it dries. You can press with a cloth with cold water. This way, you will avoid having to use the washing machine for a single stain.
Tips for cleaning waterproof clothes
Finally, to keep your waterproof clothing in perfect condition, we recommend that you follow a series of tips:
- Try not to wash these garments with the same frequency as normal garments. Ideally, try to wait until the end of the season or, if it is workwear, try to keep it as much as possible without washing.
- Ventilate your clothes well after each use. Since it is not advisable to wash these clothes regularly, a good solution to extend the time until the next cleaning is to ventilate them well.
- Never store wet in the wardrobe.
- Choose a gentle washing cycle with cold water.
- Do not use fabric softener in any case and choose the soap carefully so as not to damage the waterproofing of the garment.